Five Cal programs were honored with the Newmark Award for their academic excellence.
The award, given to the programs with the highest cumulative grade point average on campus in different categories from the previous academic year, was established by Kent and Pat Newmark in 2017 and comes with a donation to each team's operating budget.
This year, the award was expanded to reward teams in large sport and small sport categories, as well as the program with the biggest improvement from the previous year.
The 2017-18 winners are as follows:
- Men's Large Team – Crew (3.119)
- Women's Large Team – Swimming & Diving (3.429)
- Men's Small Team – Soccer (3.301)
- Women's Small Team – Beach Volleyball (3.357)
- Most Improved – Men's Water Polo
As a department, the cumulative GPA of all Cal student-athletes was 3.050.
BERKELEY – Five Cal athletic programs were honored for their excellence in the classroom last week when they were presented with 2017-18 Newmark Award.